Hello everybody! :)
This is a thought I got just as soon as I clicked to write a new post... so let's see how it goes!
----
What the Moon Did the First Christmas
The star was so bright. If the moon could have known how many songs and poems the star would have written about its luminescence over the stable, I'm not sure what it would have thought the night that God told the universe His plan.
"I want a star, a very special star, big and burning brightly-- to shine over the place where my Son is going to be born." God announced.
"No comets?" Halley seemed dismayed. "I want to show my love for Jesus-- please, God, let me fly by the earth a bit!"
God of Heaven shook His head, stroking the beautiful comet. "No, no. I'm sorry, but you must fly deep in the darkness, near me. It's the way I want it. I created you special."
The moon lifted its face to God. "Of course, I am always visible to the earth at night--" the moon's light glowed forth from its golden craters with a hopefulness. "I will be able to proclaim the coming of Your Son, will I not? Reflect the light off of Your Presence onto the world as I do every night?"
The King of the Universe-- The Lord-- shook His head once more. "You will always reflect me, Moon. For years to come you will be there night after night, guiding people through the blackness so they do not stumble. But for tonight, the Star I have chosen for the special task tonight will outshine you-- will get all the glory of the sky. It is my will."
The moon felt sorry that it could not show the love it had for its Creator and God. "Even the rocks want to cry out to proclaim Your goodness and the coming of the Saviour!" the moon said softly. "I know I'm such a little thing, compared to all the others You have created around me, but even someone insignificant as I want to praise The Lord!"
God gazed tenderly at all his planets, his stars, his moons. "I love everything I have created. Do I not call each and every one of you by name? I know your paths, how you were made, each and every distinctive mark on you-- I even know what goes on inside of you all."
"Yes, Lord, yes!" the creations of the universe cried. "We know you love us! But can we-- please-- show our reverence to you this Holy Night?"
"We could sing a song of praise," a tiny star suggested. "I could sing soprano!"
"Or we could parade in speeding gleams of light around Earth." the moon added.
God laughed. "I'm afraid that my people would be frightened by singing planets and stars, and they would probably get dizzy looking at all the millions of you circling Earth. How about we stick to my plan? I want a single, special star--" he pointed to the smallest star in the entire universe. "You have served me many years, giving me great joy. I want you to position yourself right--" he looked down and waited for the Earth to turn a degree. "There." he said.
The littlest star blinked. "Over that little stable?"
"Yes." God said. "That's the place."
Halley was shocked. "Oh, Lord, that's not where Jesus is going to arrive on Earth, is it?"
"It is there my Son will be born, yes." God nodded.
The entire universe was silent. "Just one star, Lord?" the moon asked wistfully again, glancing back down at Earth.
"Just one star. For one Saviour." God agreed. "The rest of you may not be seen on this night, but I will always know the love you have for me."
----
The moon is most beautiful, I think, on the weeks leading up to Christmas. But on Christmas day, the stars blaze and we catch our breath to remember the one shining orb that hung over where the baby Jesus was that night so long ago....
I praise God for the "stars" that have proclaimed the Gospel to souls across the ages. The way the Lord used (and uses) certain people is amazing.
But I'm not striving to be a star, unless the Lord wants to use me in such a way. Even if all I am is like the moon, consistently reflecting my dear Jesus, I will feel my life was not in vain-- for everyone has a purpose, and for everyone, God has a plan.
He may use us in different ways, but He loves us all the same!
<3
Have you ever thought about the moon's part on the first Christmas?
Do you have lovely moons in your area at night right now?
Victoria
P.S. Ok, this is really off topic, but I just had to say-- It's really funny to have the song "White Christmas" playing in the department store parking garage right a day or so after a blizzard, isn't it!
That's pretty cute, Victoria. :) It reminds me of the stories they have on the back of greeting cards sometimes.
ReplyDeleteAnd, speaking of funny Christmas songs, they were playing 'Little Drummer Boy' at Daiso last week. I thought that was pretty funny. ;) I've never heard that one in a store over here! :)
~Katie~
Thanks, Katie! :) Yes, we've been noticing a lot of Christian songs playing in the stores too-- I heard "Ding Dong Merrily on High" the other day and was kind of surprised because it's not your typical "Joy to the World" or "Silent Night" etc... but so far I haven't heard "Good Christian Men Rejoice"... which would be the strangest one to hear, here in Japan, I think!
DeleteI like your story! It reminds me of 'The Legend of the Dogwood Tree' that I sent you. :)
ReplyDelete~Kots <3
Thank you, Katja! Hope you had a Merry Christmas! :)
Delete