Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Writerly moments

Hello my friends!





--my desk--

I think this quote should almost be my writing motto! It really is one of the reasons I keep plugging away at writing---not just for me, but to glorify God and so that others will have books that perhaps they've wanted to read but haven't found either.



I have been making up stories ever since I can remember. I used to play act stories in my head (sometimes it carried outside, though) for days--even weeks-- at a time.
My first story I actually wrote down was probably when I was six, about a bear who was allergic to honey. I think his name was Stuffy, but I can't remember. It's packed in one of my boxes in the attic at the moment, haha!
When I was seven or eight, I remember playing pioneer family many, many times with Abigail. The bunk we shared was our double-decker wagon (We were obviously up on the times, lol ) and we each had something around a dozen children. However, both husbands had somehow met with tragic accidents, probably due to the fact that though we wanted children in our story, we didn't particularly want men. :D
At ten I wrote my first "chapter book". I cringe when I read those old things now, but I still have them all stashed away. I suppose someday, they'll be funny, but right now they still seem too horrendous to be that laughable. :P
From ten on I have written pretty much nonstop. Those first four years? I had easily over a dozen ideas a year, and many are either still in sticky note format, pencilled in an "ideas" notebook, or perhaps, if they were fortunate enough, have a homemade cover and five pages to five chapters worth written down.
Sometimes I can't believe the things I wrote during those years! Like I said above, it's almost painful for me to read my old scribbles and, if they happened to be typed in, probably in all caps and with about seven exclamation points after every one of my "dramatic" points.
But I've kind of decided that it was ok. That was really the years I immersed myself into writing books. I started calling myself a writer. I didn't bother with testing the waters-- I just tried to dive right into it, and wound up with some miserable failures as a result. But I don't really mind, in all honesty. It was good for practice anyways, and now I know a lot of what not to do, haha!
My fifteenth year I struggled with wondering if it was really any good, wanting to write like I did. Quite a few people, my mum especially, encouraged me in writing, but I sadly still didn't write a whole lot that year. True, we were on furlough, and it's not the most pleasurable experience to try typing--much less wield a pen or pencil-- on most midwestern roads. ;) But inwardly I wondered if I was fussing too much over something that I really wasn't made for.
I don't quite remember how it happened, but after I turned sixteen, I just came to the conclusion that I would keep trying and see where the Lord led me on it. For National Novel Writing Month that year (Which, btw, is one of my favorite times of the year, lol!) I started writing a story just straight from my heart without really any planning.
By the time November finished, I was thoroughly confused with my story. I guess having seven/eight different viewpoints was a little-- complicated. ;) I wrote a bit more in it, but then started wondering what to do. I really felt that the story was something I needed to finish, so despite the difficulties in keeping things on track, I decided to just keep on writing.
Then in May, I lost that book in a computer glitch, as well as another one of equal length. It was several months of working on them and I was heartbroken. I had planned on when they would be finished, and now my schedule would not be happening! I had worked hard on them for hours and I felt that it was all wasted. I thought maybe I just should quit.
My mum encouraged me to pray about it, so as I prayed about what to do, the Lord began giving me ideas, showing me where the stories were going wrong and how to fix it. After a week since I lost them, I was super excited to get back to work on them! I wrote a couple pages in one of them so I wouldn't forget the initial idea and compiled a bunch of memos for myself when I take it up again.
And the other one-- well, I'm hoping to Lord willing, finish it in October. ;)
It amazes me how God turns something that seems so bad and turns it into something far better than one could ever imagine. I am feeling so blessed as I write my books, and only hope that I can get through all the stages of getting a book done in a way that can bring honor to the Lord.
So now you know! I am a writer. :D (But most of you already knew that! haha) And while I am trying to keep a habit of writing, now and again I'll get to just being plain lazy. And then I can introduce it a little better to you all... before I grind it through the editing process. ( :^ )
Any of my writerly friends out there, please encourage (or threaten, if it comes to that) me in my writing! ;)

Anyways, I hope that you all have a lovely day! I apologize for probably boring the non-writers out there with this long post, but it's been on my heart to share. ;)

God bless!

Victoria <3 data-blogger-escaped-br="">
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

2 comments:

  1. That sounded just like me sometimes! It seemed as if I had written it myself, especially the beginning :) except that I got rid of all my old 6-9-year-old stuff, because I was so ashamed of the writing!! I still have dream-people and -families.

    It was nice to know someone else passed there!

    Can't wait to Skype :D Will it work out for you two?

    ~Kots <3 xoxoxo to you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's neat. ;) maybe sometime I should send you a couple bits of my really old stuff so you can have a laugh.... Lol. I'm not sure though, they are rather mortifying! :D lovely day to you! <3

      Delete