Whew! It's been a while since I posted on here, hasn't it?
To be honest, I was kind of struggling for a while with what to write. I had ideas, but I kept wondering if it was really that interesting to others. But sometimes a little break is nice and you come back refreshed and revitalized--and that's the way I feel about this blog right now. Super excited to get back into posting, even if they're short little things like this one is going to be. :) The style of my posts might be a little different now, but...I'm not going to tell you what exactly I mean by that. You'll just have to wait and see. ;)
So, on to what this post is really about! I love playing. And I don't mean just crafting or DIYing, though I enjoy that too. But I mean honest-to-goodness playing. :P So I'm always trying to find new things to do with my little brothers. Last week I came up with the idea of playing paleontologists. I got Josiah and Zebulun some clay and printed each of them a dinosaur picture. (Zeb's is above. I just copied them from some books we got at the Creation Museum, but you could find some online too). Using the picture as a guide they made clay bones.
They had to dry for a few days to be completely hard, so that happened over the weekend. Then when Zeb was outside playing one morning, I buried all his dinosaur pieces in Kinetic Sand. I left it out on the table with some toothpicks and tools, his dinosaur map, and a hard hat. (I know, the hard hat isn't super paleontologist-y but...)
When Zeb came in he found it set up for him. I didn't know he had started on it till he came into my room with a plateful of clay bones and that special smile when he is pleased. "I got them all dug out," he said.
I asked him if it was fun. He answered, "Yes, but I've got to brush them now." Smart kid! I had forgotten to put a little brush out, but he managed to find one and brushed them like a proper paleontologist.
I think that I might hide them for him again in the sand--this time with extra surprises. I'm quite fond of archaeology...might as well throw some ancient pots and things in there and see what happens. ;)
Oh, and another thing. Carbon paper is a wondrous article, to be sure! Josiah and Zebulun both really liked it. "So cool!" they both said. I want to try tracing paper next-- they like copying pictures from favorite storybooks and putting their own words to it. :)
How about you all? What sort of play do you all like? Have you done anything interesting in the make-believe or crafty department recently? Let me know in the comments! :D
Have a lovely day!
"<3 3="" p="">3>
Victoria

How fun! What a wonderful big sister you are! Love you bunches! Love, Aunt Sarah
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like so much fun! I got Joseph a kit for digging Dino bones when he was little, and he loved it. I never thought of making a kit though. I like tracing maps with tracing paper. Shaving cream, glue, and food coloring is fun for little ones... It dries like puffy paint, but it takes a while. We did that while babysitting.
ReplyDeleteThat's cute. :) Way to be creative with your brothers! :) We used to use carbon paper a lot too. Like from the books that had ladies with pretty dresses when we weren't supposed to color in the actual book. It was fun. :)
ReplyDelete